Thursday 25 July 2013

Very Easy Homemade Blackberry Jam


On sunday we took the little people to a local PYO (pick your own farm), it was great - for hubby and I!!! The baby slept and the toddler ran in areas she wasn't suppose to go, then ate so many blackberries that she was really sick when we got home!



It was also really expensive as we picked too much

So what to do with it all? 

We hydrated the strawberries - see previous post

And hubby made courgette lasagne - very yummy!


I started making my own jam when I was buying some for my little people and saw the list of ingredients, normally things like fructose syrup. I like this recipe as it's just 3 ingredients! 


Blackberry Jam


Ingredients


300g fresh blackberries

300g granulated or caster sugar

1 small lemon, juice only

  1. Pick all the stalks from the blackberries, place the fruit in a
     saucepan, cover with 250ml water and bring to the boil. 


    Simmer for 20 minutes, or until the skins of the berries are very tender and the liquid has almost evaporated.

  2. Add the sugar and lemon juice, bring to the boil then cook until the mixture reaches 105C/220F on a sugar thermometer. I don't have a sugar thermometer so I just turned it off when it nearly boiled over.

  3. Leave to cool for a few minutes then pour into hot, clean jars and seal immediately.


    I sterilised the jars by washing in hot soapy water, rinsing then drying in a low over for 10 mins (not the lids though).

    Once cool place in the fridge

    Eat


No comments:

Post a Comment