Saturday 27 July 2013

Coconut macaroons

Well I was sorting out the food cupboard as hubby used my last tin of tomatoes, as he couldn't see the 3 jars of pasta sauce! So I figured it was time for a tidy, and I found 3 packets of desiccated coconut. I wish I could remember the reason I kept buying them, I'm sure I was making something tasty at the time, but I've completely forgotten. 

Anyway every Pesach my mother in law kindly brings us macaroons, so thought I'd figure out to make them and share the recipe.

Ingredients 

  • 300g dessicated coconut 
  • 200g caster sugar
  • 3 egg whites 
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract 
Method 

  • In a bowl over a pan of water mix together the eggs and caster sugar until the sugar is dissolved and is a frothy consistency.
  • Take off the heat and add coconut and vanilla extract
  • Mix thoroughly 
  • Place in the fridge for 30 mins to firm up 

There seems to be a few ways to mould the mixture, egg cups, hand, spoon, I actually used an ice cream scoop!


  • Place on parchment paper on a baking tray
  • Cook until brown and crisp - about 10-15 mins at 200 degrees 
  • Cool on a wire rack 

We're off to friends for dinner tonight, so I'm taking some in a gift bag, hope they like it 




No comments:

Post a Comment