Saturday 14 September 2013

Rosh Hashanah Apple Challah



I attempted to use the recipe from shiksa in the kitchen, sadly she is much more of an expert than I am, but I gave it ago, it looked fab on the table and tasted great. Also the thing with making your own bread, is that you know how much salt and things are in it! 
I didn't use her ingredients, I used my old faithful bread machine challah recipe and added one peeled, cored shredded apple.

Ingredients 
  • 2 tsp dried yeast or a 7g sachet
  • 200ml warm water
  • 500g white bread flour
  • 2 tbsp runny honey
  • 2 eggs
  • 60g unsalted butter
  • egg glaze made with 1 egg yolk beaten with 1 tbsp water
  • to deocrate poppy seats or a sprinkling of sugar



Method 
Throw everything in bread pan, turn on dough setting - mine takes 1hr15. 
When complete, I tried to follow the link above to plait it, not as easy as it looks, think i need another go! but it didn't look too bad.

  • Using a pastry brush glaze with the egg glaze
  • sprinkle with poppy seeds or sugar, I did sugar as it was for Rosh Hashanah
  • Cook at 200 degrees for 45 mins or until the bread sounds hollow when tapped

No comments:

Post a Comment