Wednesday 15 May 2013

Vegetarian Hot and sour soup

I fancied making something spicy today!

I absolutely love oriental food. I am desperate to visit that interesting part of the world, but hubby spent a month travelling around Japan when he was 19 and now won't go back.

To make this delicious soup, I just used what I found in the cupboard and thrown it in a pan, as I have made it so many times. 

Taste as you go and adjust amounts depending on taste.


Ingredients 

  • A pack of firm tofu, 
  • 500 ml stock (I use vegetable cubes)
  • tbsp light soy sauce
  • tbsp dark soy sauce, 
  • tsp mirin (Chinese rice wine is better but I have ran out), 
  • tsp Chinese black rice vinegar, 
  • tbsp balsamic vinegar, 
  • a sprinkling of chilli flakes depending how spicy you like it, fresh ginger, 
  • tsp sesame oil, 
  • 1 egg white, 
  • cornflour mixed with 2 tbsps water
  • a handful of  frozen stir fry veg
  • handful of frozen peas

Method
  • Add everything to a pan except corn flour, egg white and peas.
  • Bring to the boil
  • turn down and simmer for  a few minutes, it is a very quick soup
  • add corn flour mixture and stir (this is to thicken)
  • add egg white and stir quickly
  • add frozen peas - these are added last so they don't lose the green colour.
  • Serve with a sprinkling of spring onion

For a meat version add shredded pork and prawns

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment