Saturday 14 September 2013

Healthy Home Cooked Baby foods (no jars in sight)


My little person is 10 months now and the bigger little person is nearly 2 and a half, so I thought I'd share some little person foods.

Currently my 2 year old is munching through a bowl of blueberries and the baby is making lots of mess with spaghetti! 

As I have previously shared I am a huge advocate of baby led weaning, although my husband is majorly not a fan - due to the mess and wastage! 

Although I do think the problem lies with the fact that little person sits on this Mamas & Papas Snug seat and will not keep the tray on, and big little person sits in the high chair, therefore little person drops food all over the floor. The reason for this, is the toddler will not sit still for 2 minutes unless firmly strapped into a highchair, and I don't want to go down the route of buying another high chair, when she really should be sitting at her little person table and chairs that my dad very kindly got made and shipped to us!

Here is just a small selection of easy little person foods thats good to keep handy

  • Hard boiled egg cut into quarters 
  • Potato (cooked whole potato sliced or small ones left whole)
  • Roast potatoes
  • Toast soldiers 
  • Steamed broccoli - long stem is great
  • Pasta tubes/spirals/Spaghetti served plain or with a try small sprinkle of cheese or tomato sauce
  • Steamed rice especially sushi rice as sticky and easy to pick up
  • Sliced fruit
  • Mashed banana on toast
  • Little wholemeal pancakes 
  • Vegetable batons and hummus
  • Frozen/ tinned sweetcorn and peas are great if your little person has the dexterity, I add them to rice and pasta
What we often do is cook extra for us, and leave a variety for the girls for a pick and mix for their lunch, sunday lunch or friday night dinner is great for this. 

I agree with the BLW theory that there is no such thing as baby food - that all food can be suitable for little people and eating what we eat (as long as it's healthy and suitable) is best for little people.

Note: I'm not preaching, but I never add salt when cooking, as babies kidneys can't process salt well, also no honey to under 1's.





No comments:

Post a Comment