Sunday 6 October 2013

Slow Cooker Vegetable Curry

I'd recommend a slow cooker to any busy parent, I know the idea of cooking something for 4-8 hours may seem like a waste of time. But personally I find it a life saver! I put the dinner on when the little people are having their afternoon nap. Then when I've finally put them to bed, tidied up their mess, the last thing I want to do is start cooking, which is why the slow cooker works so well! It's great for meat eaters, you could put on beef casserole in the morning and it would be lovely and succulent by the evening. 

However my husband doesn't eat red meat - and I'm not keen on chicken, therefore I mostly do veggie meals, and finding veggie recipes for slow cookers isn't that easy. Check out my stuffed peppers in the slow cooker. Stuffed peppers

Here is my vegetable curry recipe:

Ingredients:

  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds (use powder if not available)
  • 1 onion. sliced
  • 2 curry leaves (not always so easy to find in a supermarket - I have some growing in the garden which i had found in a garden centre.
  • 1 in piece of fresh ginger, finely chopped
  • 2 fresh red chillies, deseeded and chopped
  • 2 tbsp curry paste (any according to your preference, I used tikka
  • 2 carrots, sliced
  • 1 cauliflour, cut into florets
  • 3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
  • pinch tumeric
  • 250mls hot vegetable or chicken stock
  • 85g frozen peas
  • 115g mangetout


My slow cooker fry's, if yours doesn't you may want to use a frying pan first. 


  • Heat the oil in the slow cooker on fry setting.
  • Add cumin to the pan, if using seeds, when it start popping add the curry leaves and then the onion slices. 
  • Stir for a few minutes until the onion has softened.
  • Add the ginger and chillies and cook stirring occasionally for a minute
  • Stir in the curry paste, cook and stir for a few minutes
  • Add the cauliflower and carrots, cook for 5 mins 
  • Add the tomatoes, turmeric and season with salt and pepper if required
  • Cook for a few minutes, then add stock and bring to the boil
  • turn to slow cooker setting, low, medium or high, depending on how quick you need it. I found 2 hours on high was works, but probably best 5 hours on low for the best flavour
  • I added the mange tout and peas near the end of cooking, as I found that the mange touts wilt and they both lose their colour.
Here are how I served it for my 11 month old and my 2.5 year old, went down very well.



Check out my stir fry veg rice: stir-fry-vegetable-rice-

No comments:

Post a Comment